Friday, August 13, 2010

New/Old Guitars Make Me Happy...

So, I have been in the market for a while now for a 50's-60's Gibson J45. Paste Magazine did a great article on this American classic that I thoroughly enjoyed (read it online HERE). These are great guitars... and the trouble is.... everyone knows it. Finally, after a year of going in to Austin Vintage Guitar shop, reading, researching, pricing, playing & dreaming.... this week.... I found her, and she is beautiful!

1963 Gibson J45 -- a couple of scars help tell me a story about this guitars life. I know that it was bought at the Kerville Folk Festival many years ago, and the owner before me said that it came with these scars so he didn't know how they happened, but they don't effect the tone, which is most important thing. The crappy adjustable bridge has been replace by master luthier John Allison of Allison Guitars. This thing has some tone! I am not one for having pet names for my guitars... but this NEEDS one.

It is a pretty little thing... so I am saying that she is a girl... I look at those hips! And she is old so I am thinking it needs to be an older name... like "Gerturde" or "Ethal"... but those just don't fit. I need to live with her a bit... write some stories and songs. She will reveal her name in due time. Till then, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them :)

xoxo,
m-

3 comments:

  1. So it has been suggested that I call her "Aretha"... pretty good... any others I should consider?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she is still nameless, I wanna suggest Esther, Sophia, or Rose. What do I win?!?!?

    BTW, you've come a long way baby. Your latest recording had an unanticipated depth and vocal maturity that left me speechless...which is no small feat. Of course, I've regained my voice and tell whoever will listen that they need to pick up a copy of your CD.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KEN! KEN! Thanks so much for your kind words :) And I love the suggested names... I will throw them in the running. Next time I am singing in Waco... it would be great to see you and the fam :)

    ReplyDelete